EVENT SPEAKERS: Don’t get blindsided.
At O’Design Productions and Consulting we are not an AV company but an elite team of both Meeting Planners and AV Specialist that take the AV work off our client’s plates. We have seen many situations where speakers arrive with little to no information on what we need from them. Here are a few tips to help make sure you and your speakers are ready.
- Speaker Ready Room: we will always recommend a Speaker Ready room be provided for any event that has concurrent break out rooms with multiple speakers. We also recommend the AV company providing the computers to be used in both breakout and general session rooms – these computers are all “connected” or networked to the speaker ready room. Though both are additional costs, the number of frustrations avoided by both the client and the speaker are endless. Make sure you allow for room in your budget for both. We always ensure this is added for our events.
- Establish Speaker Needs: We will always ask the following questions to avoid any presenter problems.
- “Will your presentation have video?” If so, is the video embedded in the presentation, or do you need internet access for the video? (If internet is required, establish internet connection in that room).
- “Do you prefer your computer to be placed at the podium or the tech table in the back of the room?” If at the podium, we will need to install additional cables. If in the back of the room, we can provide a “Due Cue” or powerful presentation mouse. Note: all General Sessions should always have a due cue on the equipment list.
- “Do you need a wireless mouse or laser pointer?”. If so, one can be provided.
- “Do you need a confidence monitor to see your presentation?”. This will allow the speaker to see where they are in their presentation without turning their back on the audience. Note: all General Sessions should provide a confidence monitor.
- “What type of computer will you be using?”. If you do not provide a speaker ready room with provided computers (#6 above) then asking what computer they will be using is imperative. If a PC, ask what type of outputs their computer has (VGA, DVI, HDMI, other). If a MAC, ask what kind of video output their computer provides (Apple has drastically changed the video output in the last five years). The selected AV vendor can then ensure the correct connectors are supplied to the speaker in each room. Tablets can also be used. All great reasons to be asking what will be used well in advance.
- Note: always inform your speaker the screen format you will be using – whether it is 16:9 (“letterbox” like the LCD monitors sold today) or 4:3 (the old “box” or square tv’s). Better yet, provide your speaker with the events PowerPoint or Keynote template in the correct format. (We insist on our AV provider providing 16:9 screens for a better impact and view-ability).
Don’t get blindsided, make sure you’re ready – let us help you with a complimentary review of your venue contract and establish your speaker’s needs!
At O’Design we are the AV experts. From design to budget – we support you and your clients on all things AV while freely sharing the latest industry tips, tricks, and trends. We know AV and know it very well.
We manage successful and seamless events all over the country – any venue, any city, any size – at or under budget. We are not an AV company, but a meeting planning company that focuses solely on bringing the best of AV to our clients, while managing it every step of the way.
In short – we take the headache out of AV!
Have questions or would like dedicated one-on-one support?
Call (business hours) or Text 24/7: 303-877-9275
Contact us for any reason, you have our full attention!